Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Fava Beans for Spring!


fave con cipolla rossa e menta

I stumbled across this recipe from Gourmet on epicurios.com and loved the beautiful colors & the idea of mint with my veggies... I'd toast some walnuts and toss in, too... *Could dried cherries or red grapes work to make a colorful summertime dish, as well?

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups peeled & shelled fava beans (2 1/2 lbs)
  • 1 tsp plus 2 tbls olive oil, divided
  • 2 medium red onions, chopped
  • fine sea salt
  • a generous handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped (about 1/2 cup)
Preparation:
  • Cook the fava beans with 1 tsp oil in boiling unsalted water until tender, 6 to 8 mins, then drain.
  • Cook onions in remaining oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring, until just crisp-tender, about 4 mins. Add beans and cook until just heated through, then season with sea salt & pepper. Toss in mint and serve immediately.
My thoughts:

*I think I might also cool & serve the beans/onions & mint mxture with toasted walnuts, dried cherries, or sliced red grapes for a summer salad.

No comments: